It is existentially urgent to figure out a way to provide insurance for the mass market. Turaco’s mission is to free people from the fear of financial shocks. Our 25-year goal is to insure a billion people, doubling the number of people insured globally.
Turaco is a fast-growing financial services start-up in Africa that is bringing a new model to health and other risk financing for emerging customers. We are building subscription-based insurance products for the mass market bundled with regular transactions that people are already doing. Turaco works through partnerships to offer affordable insurance products that add real value to people’s lives. At Turaco we value simplicity, affordability, and transparency and strive to transform how insurance works. When it comes to claims, our goal is to pay out, and fast.
Turaco embraces diversity and inclusion in the workplace - we’re building a team where our differences complement each other and make us stronger. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic.
Since launching in Jan 2019, Turaco has acquired 1,000,000+ end users. We are growing very fast and looking for team members who can grow with us. To learn more, visit www.turaco.insure
About the role
Turaco is looking for an Actuarial Associate to work at our Nairobi office in our Service Center reporting directly to the Head of Insurance Operations and working closely with our Chief Operations Officer. This individual will take on the technical aspects of our journey into insurance underwriting, specifically risk analysis, reserving, pricing projections, and compliance.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the larger insurance operations and commercial team to develop and review micro-underwriting/micro-insurance policies.
- Working with the technology team to develop the underwriting infrastructure and the data structures needed for regulator-approved reporting
- Designing the underwriting journeys for Turaco flagship insurance products and new micro-insurance products in the pipeline.
- Own product pricing for micro-underwriting at Turaco, including building baseline pricing models and guidelines
- Drive the communication of pricing within the Insurance Operations team and externally to the organization.
- Participate in product ideation sessions with the commercial team and partners to understand the basics of each product and embed these ideas in pricing decisions.
Risk & Compliance
- Identify risk areas in underwriting and other insurance operations, and develop responses to mitigate such risks.
- Own compliance with the regulator. Assess non-compliance right from product development to product launches and scale and implement corrections.
- Introduce regulator reporting templates to insurance operations and ensure reporting as per regulator timelines.
- Track the performance of insurance products guided by the data from our internal CRM system, generate and interpret reports to provide the management team key information for decision making.
- Using existing performance indicators for the Insurance Operations team build and track all requisite metrics that address underwriting of risks.
- Work closely with Marketing and Customer Experience to understand customer satisfaction data and act on customer pain points regarding Turaco products.
- Act as the technology integrator for the Insurance Operations team constantly reviewing existing features recommending updates and working with Tech to develop new features.
- Process Optimization around policy administration, claims handling, underwriting, and actuarial.
- Providing continuous learning to the insurance operations team, especially on aspects of underwriting and pricing.
Desired Skills and Experiences
- Live Turaco’s values – care and protect our customers, do the right thing, low ego, and have fun
- Advanced degree in Actuarial Science/ Insurance, or related field. Professional papers in Actuary or Risk are desired.
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience in Actuarial work in the insurance industry or elsewhere.
- An understanding of insurance policy administration, claims handling and insurance risk analysis is a plus.
- Advanced data analysis skills useful for generating and interpreting key insurance metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills, including oral and written
- A high sense of empathy toward insurance-related interactions.
- Ability to work autonomously and take initiative, solve problems (solution-oriented),
- Willingness to work as a team member with people in and outside of Turaco’s organization from differing backgrounds, geographies, and cultures.
Our Company Culture
Our company values are; Care & Protect, Do the right thing, Have fun, and Low ego. Our values inform the culture we have built at Turaco. Our work demands care and protects our customers, we believe in honesty, taking initiative, having fun while working, and being humble at all times. If these words describe you, join us!
Total Compensation & Benefits
Turaco offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We combine that with useful employment benefits like stock option plans, office lunches, an L&D stipend and healthcare, and a company culture that allows you to enjoy your work while making meaningful connections.