It is existentially urgent to figure out a way to insure people who are not insured. Turaco’s mission is to free people from the fear of financial shocks. Our 25-year goal is to insure a billion people, doubling the number of people insured in the world.
Turaco is a fast-growing financial services start-up in East Africa that is bringing a new model to health and risk financing for emerging customers. Turaco offers subscription-based insurance products for the mass market bundled with regular transactions that people are already doing. Turaco works through business partnerships to offer affordable insurance products that add real value to people’s lives. At Turaco we value simplicity, communication, and transparency and strive to transform the way insurance works. When it comes to claims, our goal is to pay out and fast.
Turaco embraces diversity and inclusion in the workplace - we’re building a team where our differences complement each other and make us stronger. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic.
Since launching in Feb 2019, Turaco has acquired 100,000+ end users. Over the next 24 months, that will grow to 1,000,000+ end users. We are growing very fast, and we need leaders who can grow with us.
To learn more, visit www.turaco.insure
Operating in a key leadership role for Turaco, the General Manager in Nigeria reports directly to the CEO and works closely with the Head of Growth. The General Manager will oversee all aspects of Nigeria’s business operations and is responsible for leading Turaco’s Nigeria team, hiring and developing new employees, overseeing general operations including field sales and claims management, leading business development efforts, partner management, and underwriter management.
The General Manager will also have P&L responsibility, ensuring Turaco achieves revenue and gross margin targets, as well as managing Turaco’s Nigeria expenditures.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Culture: create a business and develop a team that is full of people who believe in our vision and values. People who are ambitious and are committed to caring for and protecting everyone who needs protection in Nigeria. People who do the right thing and have fun doing it.
- P&L Responsibility: own the P&L from both a revenue and cost standpoint. Ultimately responsible for making the business grow and be profitable.
- Account Management: ensure successful execution of pilots, evolving them into long-term distribution partnerships, and managing all business partnerships with the support of your team. Act as the primary point of contact for all key accounts.
- Underwriter Management: ensure Turaco Nigeria maintains strong relationships with its Underwriter partners, as well as develop new partnerships as needed.
- Sales/Business Development: with the CEO and Head of Growth, develop the partnership pipeline, lead new business efforts, draft and present pitch decks, and move new partnerships through the sales process from pitch to contract signature.
- Operations Management: lead operations team to create amazing customer experiences, both for end-users and for business partners. Achieve all operational objectives and KPIs.
- Team/HR: relentlessly work to build an awesome team. Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and firing decisions, goal setting, and people development.
- Finance, Admin, Legal, Office: manage the details of the Nigeria business ensuring
- Turaco meets local standards for financial reporting, tax filing and reporting, local governance, and administrative requirements.
Strategy: Work with the founders and company leadership to continually improve
- Turaco’s strategic position and planning. Regularly participating in strategy discussions or
Key Qualifications & Your Profile
- Live Turaco’s values – care and protect our customers, do the right thing, and have fun!
- 6+ years of professional experience in a similar function, with experience in a leadership or management role. Start-up or entrepreneurial experience is a plus
- Experience leading a team and motivating people
- Have a commercial mindset, be able to analyze data and marketing analytics and to report on the effectiveness and efficiency of growth drivers
- Proven analytical, business planning, and management skills - exhibit the ability to navigate ambiguity, juggle multiple tasks, think independently, demonstrate sound judgment, and problem solve.
- Really, seriously detail-oriented
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with operational finance, revenue, and expense forecasting, and general compliance.
- Demonstrated high EQ and ability to develop and motivate your team.
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree with excellent grades; preference toward an MBA
Total Compensation & Benefits:
Turaco offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience. We combine pay with a mix of useful employment benefits like stock option plans and healthcare and a company culture that allows you to enjoy your work while making meaningful connections.